Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Housekeeping!

Sup.

So, this morning, while watching SBTB, a commercial for e Harmony came on the tube. I think meeting the love of your life via the www is... quite frankly... hilarious. I get it. But it just seems so ridiculous! Maybe it's for people that are really, really busy! Anyway, I'm all for it. Ok, so. Julia met her boo, Adam, on e Harmony. When asked why and how and all that, she said, "e Harmony really hones in on your core values." That's super. But then, I got to thinkin. Hone? People use the word. But is it really a word? I looked it up.

It's a word! Woot!

When used as a phrasal verb (as Jules did), it means...

1. To move or advance toward a target or goal: The missiles honed in on the military installation.
2. To direct one's attention; focus: The lawyer honed in on the gist of the plaintiff's testimony.

Do I think Julia could have used a more... universal word? Absolutely. Maybe like... focus? Too easy?

Anyway, what are some other words that boggle your brainstem? I'll give you one. In high school, all the cool kids said, "F***in' A." I didn't use the phrase because 1. I didn't know what it meant, 2. I heard it in an excited tone and an angry tone, and that confused me, and 3. I didn't know what it meant.

Do you know what it means? I still hear it. And I still ask the user what it means and no one has been able to explain it to me. It's probably from a movie.. probably Napoleon Dynamite. It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I've ever done.

And for the record.. I'm all for made up words. Just not words I don't know.

What's my favorite website? I'm glad you asked.

http://www.dictionary.com/

Happy Tuesday!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment